Tourism and the Environment
At TEAM Tourism Consulting we are very conscious of the importance of the environment to the sustainable development of tourism, whether it is to minimise the impact of increased visitor numbers on the natural environment, heritage sites or landscapes or to satisfactorily absorb the changes to the social and physical fabric of communities that tourism development can bring. TEAM is also very focused on the impact that the tourism industry has on energy consumption, transport and waste and how this can be reduced.
A Positive Approach to Climate Change
Tourism is both a contributor to climate change and very vulnerable to its effects. We are already seeing rapid shifts in public attitudes towards the issue; at what point will there be a significant switch in consumer behaviour towards destinations that are genuinely and demonstrably serious about protecting the environment and mitigating tourism's contribution to climate change?
Destinations around the world need to be urgently developing comprehensive strategies that address both climate change adaptation and mitigation. TEAM is building its expertise in the area of tourism and climate change and has links to specialist organisations such as the climate change team at the Centre for Sustainability (C4S) at TRL and OUCE, the Oxford University Centre for the Environment.
An Experienced Team
TEAM is committed to tourism development that is truly sustainable. We have a number of Associates with experience and qualifications in town and country planning, in heritage management and in environmental science and we are pleased to be able to offer services in sustainable tourism development and management that are integrated with our services in tourism development and marketing.
More Information on TEAM's Work
Click on the link at the top of the page to view a complete list of TEAM's projects or, for a list of projects relating specifically to work on Tourism and the Environment, use the link provided here.
Current and Recent Projects
Examples of environmental projects include:
- 'What is a Green Tourist?' project for Sustainable Tourism Powys
- UNEP Green Economy Report Tourism Chapter for United Nations Environment Programme / World Tourism Organisation (with INCAE)
- Tourism development plan project for the Yanbu Al Medina A Munawarah Province - Yanbu Northern Coastal Front for the Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities.
- What makes you move? How best to reduce the environmental burden of visitors to the Lake District National Park for Natural England / Friends of the Lake District / Cumbria Tourism.
- A development and access research project for Shapwick Heath National Nature Reserve for Natural England.
- Marketing the natural assets of England's Northwest for the NWDA, the Northwest Regional Development Agency. The project involved identifying how best to utilise the natural assets of the Northwest for sustainable tourism development and marketing.